The question salon owners and managers today should be asking themselves is not how do I motivate people, but how do I create the type of conditions and environment where people will motivate themselves?
Top talent will always choose to work in a salon where they are valued and encouraged to grow. The money they can earn anywhere. Your job as a leader is to keep your best people and to attract the best new talent out there. People today are not looking just for a job, they are looking for a career path.
Here are my top 10 rules to live by:
1. Set the right tone every day.
2. Hire only the best and be able and willing to make the tough decisions.
3. Education is the key.
4. Create a terrific working environment and experience for your team.
5. Be proactive.
6. Give continuous feedback and solicit it yourself at all times.
7. Value and reward your team.
8. Challenge your team to make a commitment to excellence every day.
9. Do not micro manage.
10. Have an open door policy.
Great leaders in the hair and beauty industry are the real deal. They know leadership is not a right, it is an honour, an awesome responsibility and privilege. Great leaders leave their egos at the door, and they know when to make the tough decisions in the salon, even when they may not be the most popular, but they always do it with a compassionate heart.
Charles Marcus is a highly sought after business educator and motivational speaker both within and outside of the salon and beauty industry. For more info visit his website at www.cmarcus.com.
Copyright 2012: Charles Marcus. The Empowerment International Group Inc.