Here are top tips for your biggest foundation to nail services—the health of clients’ natural nails. “Many adverse nail conditions can be avoided through proper nail care. For optimal results, recommend to clients that nails receive a manicure weekly, and use professional products for at-home maintenance,” says LCN education director, Glenda Pike, who also shares top service and retail recommendations.
1. To strengthen nails and prevent them from peeling, use products containing calcium, such as a nail hardener.
LCN Nail Hardener: This is a penetrating treatment with calcium and vitamin E. It is an intensive nail hardener that strengthens natural nails. Twice a week, apply one coat to nails before polish.
2. Avoid overusing products that contain alcohol, as these ingredients dry nails out. Practice using minimal amounts of polish remover when removing polish, or choose professional nail polish that will last longer, which will result is less polish changes.
LCN Orchid Polish Remover: This is an innovative, solvent-free nail polish remover with nourishing panthenol, vitamin E and has a vanilla scent.
3. Recommend a professional moisturizing cream, such as LCN Hand Cream, for clients to use whenever they finish washing their hands. Also, remind clients to wear rubber gloves when washing dishes, cleaning with harsh chemicals and gardening. Nails that are not protected will be robbed of oils and moisture and may split or peel.
LCN Hand Cream: This non-oily, quick absorbing cream nourishes the skin with proteins and vitamins, and has a fresh, calming scent. Apply a pearl size amount 1-2 times a day or as often as needed.
4. When filing nails into shape, do not use a coarse file, but try the 240 grit or higher. A square shaped nail is the strongest shape.
5. Strength is a combination of hardness and flexibility. Nail hardeners and polish will provide the strength and moisturizers and nail oil will provide the flexibility that a natural nail requires. Recommend a nail hardener for clients to take home and use once or twice a week, such as LCN Super Hardener.
LCN Super Hardener: This clear polish is infused with strong acrylic fibers. It forms a solid shield of strength and protection giving a shiny top coat. This fast drying product is suitable for both natural and artificial nails.
6. Even in your sleep, there’s a place for nail care—apply nail oil to cuticles at bedtime.
LCN Nail Oil: This oil prevents and treats hangnails. It keeps cuticles soft and nourished with Vitamins A, E, and F. Apply to cuticles 1-2 times daily or as often as needed.
Images courtesy of LCN