With the warmer weather approaching, clients may already be transitioning into summer mode and with that comes the desire for new summer hairstyle ideas.
With music festival season starting soon (beginning with Coachella next month!), Ulla Johnson’s fun braided bun created by Esther Langham for amika is the perfect, carefree style that will keep clients looking and feeling cool in the heat of the night.
Here’s how to recreate the look using amika:
amika Plus Size Perfect Body Mousse
amika Un.Done Volume and Matte Texture Spray
amika Fluxus Touchable Hairspray
amika The Accomplice Dryer
How-To: Braided Bun
1. Dampen the hair and create a center part.
2. Apply Plus Size Perfect Body Mousse to the hair for control. (including the hairline)
3. Blow-dry the hair roughly using The Accomplice Dryer until completely dry and create a soft aesthetic. (Tip: For fine hair, apply Un.Done Volume and Matte Texture Spray to add body and texture)
4. Section hair into 3, with partings from the center to behind the ear.
5. Start braiding in an overhand style along the front hairline all the way to above the ear. Complete the braid and secure with an elastic.
6. When both sides are complete, separate the back into 3 sections and create classic braids. To prevent flyaways, use Fluxus Touchable Hairspray.
7. Once complete, fold the braids and secure to the back of the head. Next, pin the side section braids around the perimeter of the hairline and around the back of the head.
8. Gently soften the side section with your fingers until you have reached the desired softness
Photo: Lauren Bliss