Aveda has always been a company that has prided itself on sourcing sustainable and organic essential oils, using recyclable packaging and giving back to its sourcing countries, but this year the brand is also celebrating a milestone. 2016 marks the 10-year anniversary of Aveda’s Earth Month initiative, WaterAid, which, over the past decade has raised more than $3.5 million, providing clean water to more than 140,000 people in 25 countries.
Kevin.Murphy is known for its out-of-the-box hair care ingredients and great-smelling products, but what makes the Australian-born brand even more amazing is the way it sources these ingredients. As part of its company-wide “Choices We Make” initiative, Kevin.Murphy not only searches the globe for cutting-edge ingredients that no one else is using to provide your clients with top-shelf products but also sources them through suppliers that use micro-cultivation, organic growing practices or ecologically sound harvesting to minimize its carbon footprint. The fact that the packaging is 100 per cent recyclable is just icing on the cake.
Keep It Green
1) Switch your salon’s lights to energy-saving bulbs by replacing fluorescent or halogen bulbs with LED lights, which use less energy and last longer, saving you energy and money.
2) Bring back the three Rs: Reduce waste and disposable items, reuse whatever you can and recycle what you can’t.
3) Reduce wasted water at the washing station by installing a flow reducer to decrease water consumption, and remind your staff to turn off the tap when massaging colour, shampoo and conditioner.
4) Invest in a few tablets for your salon and sign up for digital magazine subscriptions, helping your team go paperless and reduce waste within the space.
5) Partner up with Green Circle Salons to reduce your waste even more. They ensure that hair, foils, colour tubes, paper and leftover hair colour get diverted away from our waterways and landfills.
6) Add some green to your space to create oxygen, balance out carbon dioxide emissions and help create a calming environment.
7) Get creative with your recycling practices and use old shampoo bottles to make DIY planters for your new decor.