The most stylish show on television returned this Sunday, and in honor of the premiere we’ve got tips from Mad Men Hair Department Head Stylist Terrie V. Owen on how he creates Betty Draper’s (played by January Jones) retro waves.
This style works best on shoulder length hair.
1. Part the hair and section it (parallel to the part) in small sections.
2. Then spray with a thermal styling spray and curl small pieces towards the face. Owen uses White Sands Liquid Texture Thermal Styling Spray.
3. Clip the curls with small clips before you move to the next section and make sure you curl the entire head. You can also use hot rollers by placing them parallel to the part and spraying with a thermal styling spray before. Place rollers throughout the sides and back of the whole head.
4. Let the hair cool off before brushing it out with a natural bristle brush (a plastic vent brush doesn’t give the same effect).
5. Push waves into place using a grooming creme and finish off with hairspray. You can brush out with your fingers for more of a textured, piecey, modern look.
Photo © Rainbow Media Holdings LLC. All rights reserved.