Space buns, glitter roots, beach waves and braids were everywhere at Coachella this year and we all know it’s the festival that sets the trends for the season ahead. With Toronto’s summer music festival season kicking off this past weekend, we’ve rounded up three on-trend hair how-tos and some must-have styling products for the perfect hold.
Half-Up Space Buns
Making its appearance on the Anna Sui Fall/Winter 2017 runway, this style by Garren for R+Co was a top trend at Coachella. This runway trend turned festival hairstyle staple is simple and easy to manage for medium to long lengths.
1. Prep hair with a texturizing spray and part down the centre.
2. Create two twisted knots (aka Minnie Mouse twists) at the crown with just the upper layers of hair.
3. Finish with a flexible hold spray to keep the knots in place and add natural texture to the remainder of the hair with a texturizing spray.
Products to get this look:
R+Co SAIL Soft Wave Spray
R+Co OUTER SPACE Flexible Hairspray
R+Co TROPHY Shine + Texture Spray
Central Rope Braid with a Modern Twist
Braids are sticking around but they’re getting a more creative treatment than your standard “braid crown.” Try this central rope braided style by Kevin Hughes for Moroccanoil for a new twist on the festival classic.
1. Starting with dry hair, create a one-inch vertical section in the centre, from the front hairline to the high point and secure with a clip.
2. Create an additional one-inch section on each the right and left of the central section extending to the front of the ear.
3. Take a small subsection at the high point in the centre section and split it into two strands.
4. Twist both strands counterclockwise and cross the left strand over the right to begin a rope braid. Add a small subsection of hair to the left strand and join them by twisting the hair counterclockwise. Cross the left strand over the right strand. Repeat these steps, continuing to add small subsections of hair to the left strand, twisting counterclockwise to join, and crossing the left strand over the right strand until reaching the front hairline.
5. At the front hairline, direct one strand to the left side of the head and secure with a styling clip. Direct the other strand to the right.
6. Split the strand that is directed to the right side into two strands.
7. Twist both strands counterclockwise. Cross the left strand over the right strand. Add a small subsection of hair to the left strand and join them by twisting counterclockwise. Cross the left strand over the right strand. Repeat until reaching the top of the ear. Stop adding subsections of hair at this point, but continue the rope braid, directing it towards the back of the head. Secure the hair ends with an elastic.
8. Repeat step 7 on the left side.
9. Connect the two rope braids with an elastic at the back of the head and add a texturizing spray to the hair below the ears. Curl with a Marcel iron.
10. Spritz hairspray to keep it braids in place.
Products to get this look:
Prep with Moroccanoil Treatment and Smoothing Oil
Moroccanoil Dry Texture Spray
Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray Strong
Moroccanoil Glimmer Shine
Glitter Roots and Beach Waves
While these loose, textured waves have always been a summer styling staple, glitter roots are trending this festival season. Of course, fuss-free styles are key for longer festivals, particularly when there’s camping involved. Teach clients this hair how-to and send them home with the right products for a DIY style option.
1. For natural texture, start by skipping the blow dry and applying an air-dry styling cream. Twist sections of hair and let dry naturally.
2. Once dry, run fingers through hair to separate and tousle for fuss-free waves.
3. Apply a glitter pomade or gel, starting from the roots and thinning for a metallic glitter effect.
Products used to get this look:
Redken No Blow Dry NBD
Redken Metal Fix 08
Photos courtesy of R+Co, Moroccanoil and Redken; Slider image courtesy of Moroccanoil
Comments are closed.