Contessa – The Canadian Hairstylist of the Year Awards Official Rules and Regulations
01. The competition is open to every bona fide, working member of a Canadian professional beauty salon, including freelancers in the industry and salon owners.
02. Entrants may enter one or more of the 22 Contessa categories (23 including Community Service) but each category may only be entered once annually.
04. IMPORTANT: A separate photo shoot with a different look and feel, such as different background, wardrobe and accessory styling is a mandatory requirement for the following EXCLUSIVE CATEGORIES: Canadian Hairstylist, Elite Master, International Hairstylist, Master Colourist, Session and Canadian Salon Team. (For clarification on Canadian Salon Team sharing, see rule 5.)
05. Creative work may not be entered twice in the same category. Creative work can be shared by entrants only in the following categories: Canadian Salon Team, Canadian Colourist, Makeup Artist and Canadian Nail Artist. All participating stylists must credit their names and function per entry accordingly (i.e. Hairstylist: John Doe; Colour Technician: Mary Smith; Texture Technician: Paul Jones; Nail Artist: Jo Green).
06. IMPORTANT: To ensure fair competition, extreme digital manipulation of hair is discouraged and judging points will be deducted accordingly, except for Avant Garde and Session categories. Up to 5 points can be deducted. In extreme cases, your entry may be disqualified.
07. After winning any category twice (with the exception of Canadian Salon Team, Session, or Canadian Nail Artist), entrants are not eligible to enter that category for one year.
08. Submissions must be in digital format uploaded online or on CD. All images must be photographed vertically (if entering the category Salon Interior Design, horizontal photographs are permitted). See Technical Specifications and Instructions. Elaborate packaging is discouraged and is not scored. Images will not be returned—please make your own duplicates before entering the competition. Entrants must submit high and low resolution versions of their work, (if submitting on disc) as well as an original, un-retouched photograph of each model’s style, i.e. a clear digital shot before editing, saved as a JPG file.
09. All submissions must include an un-retouched photo, which is a final image that you submit with your collection. If un-retouched photos are found to have been digitally altered in any way, entrants will face point deductions.
10. Contessa submissions may not be entered into any similar national, photography-based award event unless it is held in conjunction with Salon Communications Inc., until the results of The 31st Annual Canadian Hairstylist of the Year Awards are announced at the gala awards ceremony. This rule will be enforced, and awards will be revoked if broken.
11. Contessa submissions may not be work previously used or photographed for commercial purposes (i.e. advertising campaigns) except in the Session category. Previously published editorial work may be submitted in any category.
12. Entry to the competition deems entrants have read, accepted and agreed to abide by the rules set forth herein.
13. All entrants hereby grant The Canadian Hairstylist of the Year Awards all respective rights, titles and interests to the enclosed image submissions, including all applicable copyrights. The entrant further grants Salon Magazine, English and French editions, Elevate Magazine, salonmagazine.ca and salonmagazine.ca/fr, permission to reproduce any and/or all submitted images in any way they deem reasonable, provided such use relates to this or any future Canadian Hairstylist of the Year Award event and any advertising, promotion or publicity associated herewith. By entering this competition, the entrant waives the right to make any claims against the judges of the competition, the sponsors, the organizers, or any group, which endorses the competition or assists in its conduct. The entrant understands the decision of the judges is final and that all images become the property of Salon Communications Inc. and The Canadian Hairstylist of the Year Awards without payment of any compensation and without restriction as to date, location or manner of use, provided such relates to this event in any way. However, the entrant still retains ownership of his or her work.
14. It is understood by entering this competition, the entrant has secured and has proof of release forms authorized by the photographer(s), makeup artist(s), model(s) and other parties of interest involved in the production of each submission. Please use the release on the last page.
15. Failure to comply with the rules and regulations as set out will result in point deduction for each infraction incurred and/or disqualification from the competition.
17. For full rules and regulations in both English and French, go to salonmagazine.ca/contessa.
IMPORTANT: Entrants are required to submit an ORIGINAL, UN-RETOUCHED PHOTOGRAPH of each look (i.e. a clear digital image before editing, saved as a JPG file), in addition to the low and high resolution images of the work. Please note: Low res images only necessary if submitting collection entry on disc.
- Only digital formats will be accepted.
- Images must be submitted on a CD or uploaded online at salonmagazine.ca/contessa. One CD per entry. (Include your bio photo on each CD or upload per entry or salon logo if entering Canadian Salon Team.)
- High resolution images must be saved in JPG format.
- High resolution photos, sizes should be 10” x 13” at 300 dpi, or 3000 x 3900 pixels.
- Low resolution images must be RBG and saved in JPG format.
- For the low resolution photos, the size of the images should be 10” height by any width at 150 dpi, or 1500 pixels height by any width.
- All submissions must also include an un-retouched photo which is a final image that you submit with your collection but that is NOT digitally enhanced in any way. You will still also submit your final images, which have been photoshopped and will be judged. The un-retouched photo is NOT a photo of you working on the hairstyle. The un-retouched photo is also not the same as the ‘before’ image (which is required for some categories).
- All submissions on CD must be accompanied by a colour proof (on the cover of the CD including before and after photos). Minimum size of the proof should be 2”x 1.5” (Download a template)
- Every CD must be labeled with: Name of entrant, salon name, phone number, category and photographer’s contact information.
- Each image, whether on CD or uploaded online, must be labeled as follows (see samples below):year_category abbreviation_firstinitial_last name_image numbe_hi.jpgyear_category abbreviation_firstinitial_last name_image number_low.jpgyear_category abbreviation_firstinitial_last name_image number_original.jpg
- For the Master Colourist category, replace the image number with the colour group that image represents: blonde, brunette, red, pure pigment or commercial.
- For before and after photos, add a “b” (for before) and “a” (for after) following the image number.
- For bio shots, replace the image number with “BS.”
- Category Abbreviations
AG Avant Garde
CC Canadian Colourist
CH Canadian Hairstylist
NA Canadian Nail Artist
CS Canadian Salon Team
EM Elite Master
IH International Hairstylist
MA Makeup Artist
MC Master Colourist
MH Men’s Hairstylist
NH New Hairstylist
SI Salon Interior
SH Session Hairstylist
SA Student Apprentice
BC British Columbia
- Example 1: Carolyn Mckenzie entering Canadian Hairstylist (17 represents 2017)
- Example 2: John Smith entering Texture
- Example 3: Nicole Smith entering Master Colourist
- Please include all credit information (including the name of the photographer, makeup artist, nail artist and wardrobe stylist) on the provided release form. Please type or print all names clearly.
- Use CD cover template provided on salonmagazine.ca/contessa.
See General Rules and Regulations Part A: Rule #4 for further important information about these categories.
CANADIAN HAIRSTYLIST (EXCLUSIVE)
Submit five images (five different models) from the following seven possible categories: long hair, short hair, men’s, texture, colour, multicultural, or avant garde. Versatility, creativity and fashion appeal will be judged. IMPORTANT: Submissions/Collections in this category must have a different look and feel (Please reference Part A: Rule #4.) from any other submission/collection and may not be submitted in any other category of the Contessa competition.
CANADIAN SALON TEAM (EXCLUSIVE)
Submit five images (five different models) from the following possible seven categories: long hair, short hair, men’s, texture, colour, multicultural, or avant garde. Versatility will be judged. A minimum of two hairstylists must contribute to be eligible. Include the names of all participants in each entry. Students may be included as part of Canadian Salon Team entries, but only in addition to a minimum of two bona fide hairstylists for that entry. IMPORTANT: Submissions/Collections in this category must have a different look and feel from any other submission/collection and may not be submitted in any other category except for Makeup Artist, Canadian Nail Artist and Canadian Colourist.
ELITE MASTER HAIRSTYLIST (EXCLUSIVE)
This elite category is by nomination only. Eligible nominees will be contacted by May 5, 2017 and asked to submit five images using five different models that will be judged on versatility, creativity and fashion appeal. IMPORTANT: Submissions/Collections in this category cannot be entered in any other category of the Contessa competition. Previously published editorial work is permitted.
NEW! INTERNATIONAL HAIRSTYLIST (EXCLUSIVE)
This category is by nomination only. Eligible nominees will be contacted by May 5, 2017 and asked to submit five images using five different models that will be judged on versatility, creativity and fashion appeal. IMPORTANT: Submissions/Collections in this category cannot be entered in any other category of the Contessa competition. Previously published editorial work is permitted.
MASTER COLOURIST (EXCLUSIVE)
This category is by nomination only. Eligible nominees will be contacted by May 5, 2017. Submit five “before” and five “after” images using five different models. The “before” photographs must be taken within one year of the makeover. Each model’s predominant colour should correspond to one of the following categories: blonde, brunette, red, pure pigment and commercial. (The commercial look can be of any colour, but must have a high degree of consumer appeal). Images must be labelled according to the category they represent. IMPORTANT: Submissions/Collections in this category must have a different look and feel from any other submission/collection and may not be entered in any other category of the Contessa competition.
SESSION HAIRSTYLIST (EXCLUSIVE)
This category is for the hairstylist who is inspired to create looks that have an editorial or commercial feel and would likely appear in or on fashion magazines, fashion runways, television or film. Entries will be judged on a combination of hair, makeup and fashion according to editorial and commercial appeal. Submit three images (three different looks). Submissions may include previously published work for editorial or commercial purposes, or unpublished work, or any combination thereof. IMPORTANT: Submissions/ Collections in this category must have a different look and feel and may not be entered into any other category of the Contessa competition. All other rules and regulations of the Contessas apply to this category. Digital enhancement may be used.
AVANT GARDE HAIRSTYLIST
Submit three images showcasing fantasy work (three different models). Digital enhancement is permitted.
Submit three “before” and three “after” images (three different models, male or female). The “before” photographs must be taken within one year of the makeover.
CANADIAN NAIL ARTIST
Submit three “before” and three “after” images (three different looks). Any artistic or enhancement technique is acceptable. Nails will be judged on suitability to the model’s hand size and shape, on overall fashion appeal, level of difficulty i.e. proper smile line and cohessiveness of the collection. Creativity and artistic expression is encouraged. IMPORTANT: Previously published editorial work is permitted. Submissions may be shared with Canadian Salon Team entry, however the focus for this entry must be on nails. Nails must make up at least 50 per cent of the photo.
JOHN STEINBERG AWARD FOR COMMUNITY SERVICE
This award is given to the professional or salon whose single charity event created the greatest impact in their neighbourhood between July 29, 2016 and August 2, 2017. There is no entry fee for this category, which is judged by an independent panel. Contestants must fill out a separate Contessa Community Service Award Application available at salonmagazine.ca/contessa.
In your application package, please include all details pertaining to your fundraising activity: cause, date and place of event, funds collected, press
clippings and promotional activities (including social media, if used as a promotional tool), as well as photos and videos (if applicable and available). Please also include salon logo or bio photo.
Submit three “before” and three “after” images (three different models). Include at least one day and one evening look. The third image may be another day/ evening look or an avant garde or theatrical look. IMPORTANT: Previously published editorial work is permitted. Submissions may be shared with Canadian Salon Team entry, however the focus for this entry must be on the makeup.
Submit three images (three different male models) showcasing current trends, fashion appeal and styling techniques. Collection will also be judged on model suitability and reflection of current trends.
Submit three images (three different models). Range of looks must complement culturally diverse models.
Submit three images (three different models). To be eligible, hairstylists may not be licensed for more than five years. IMPORTANT: Include with your entry a copy of your license, or your beauty/cosmetology school graduation certificate if there is no licensing in your province, certificate must include date of graduation.
This category is open to stylists who operate in a salon in the province or region entered. Submit three images (three different models) for:
• British Columbia Hairstylist of the Year (including Yukon, NWT & Nunavut)
• Alberta Hairstylist of the Year
• Saskatchewan/Manitoba Hairstylist of the Year
• Ontario Hairstylist of the Year
• Quebec Hairstylist of the Year
• Atlantic Hairstylist of the Year
SALON INTERIOR DESIGN
Submit five images for Salon Interior Design of the Year, showcasing the reception/waiting area, retail area, styling area, technical area and a room or detail of your choice. You must include on a separate sheet the following information: salon name, salon address, salon phone number, owners, salon size, designers, retail products (hair, skin, nails) and number of staff. A scaled floor-plan drawing of the salon must also be included with your entry.
Submit three images showcasing three different looks with the option of using one model. To be eligible, entrants must be enrolled in beauty/cosmetology school or be performing their required hours in a salon before August 2, 2017. IMPORTANT: A letter from the school or salon confirming enrollment must be submitted with the entry. Students/apprentices may not already be licensed. Students cannot enter any other category except Canadian Salon Team, and only according to the rules of that category.
Submit three “before” and three “after” images (three different models) that demonstrate various texture techniques. The “before” photographs must be taken within one year of the makeover.