Prep for party season with a couple of solid styles under your belt and you’ll keep your clients happy. For updos, think sculpted instead of slick. UNITE stylist Amber Nichols—also the creative director and director of education for Ken Paves’ West Hollywood salon—created a winner with her vintage Hollywood look. Here’s how she did it.
1. Wash and condition hair with Unite Smoothing Shampoo and Conditioner. Apply Unite Smoothing Deep Treatment and let sit for 20 minutes. Rinse, dry and apply Unite 7Seconds Conditioner.
2. Apply Unite Session Whip from the mid shaft to the end, then blow-dry with a round brush.
3. Set each section, wrapping softly around the fingers and clipping in place.
4. After the finger curls are set, mist with Unite GO365 on light to set and prep for the curling iron.
5. Figure-8 curl each section to ensure depth in waves. When cooled, remove clips.
6. Softly brush through the hair and break up any section lines.
7. Create three graduated bob-like sections (from occipital to behind the ears) and backcomb from roots to ends.
8. Roll sections under from ends to base. Lock by pinning in an X with large pins. This also creates a cushion to pin into.
9. Begin dressing hair, bringing sections back and pinning. Let the movement you put in live, so pull softly to place.
10. Secure with hairpins and use a Marcel to enhance waves. Mist with Unite Tricky Lite and finish with Unite G0365 on strong hold.