Happy New Year to all of the creative artists out there! I hope we all get our minds flowing in 2013 and have a great year. Keep in mind that there is still time to enter the What’s Next Awards, and in this edition I’d like to offer a few helpful tips on planning an award-winning photo shoot.
1. It all starts with an idea and a vision. A good way to help you with this would be to create a storyboard by tearing out pictures of hair, fashion, shapes and colours that grab your attention.
2. Once you’re satisfied with the components that you’ve collected, you need to come up with a certain mood and feeling that you want to show throughout your image. After you finish your brainstorming you will need to find a great photographer and make-up artist. They will help bring your vision to life.
3. Find a model who will sell your look – this is very important, not just any model will do. The model plays a vital role in any photo shoot and can actually make the hair secondary in terms of importance; without a model who suits the look you want to create, it will almost be impossible to bring your vision to life.
4. Once you’ve picked your model, it’s time to focus on the hair. The style and colour should have a wow factor that will catch the judges eyes in a way that other entries won’t.
5. The shape and balance are very important when choosing your winning shot. Always go with your gut, since beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you will always criticize your own work the most.
Don’t be scared to push yourself and bring out your inner creativity. Let’s all set goals together for 2013 and BE FEARLESS!