Step up your barbering skills with this step-by-step guide on how to master a skin fade. A well-blended fade is a timeless men’s haircut that’s important for any men’s hairstylist to master. Check out these step-by-step details by award winning British hairstylist, Jim Shaw, on how to complete the perfect skin fade for your clients.
What you’ll need:
Cordless clippers with a comb guard
Get the look:
- Always start around an inch above the ears as a guideline, cut the hair with the 0 setting on your clippers from the bottom of the hairline up to the guideline and work your way around the head.
- Repeat the above process directly above the guideline point but change your clipper setting up a notch. Repeat this process until you reach the top of the sides of the head.
- Be sure not to rush this process! Ensure you have rhythm as you work on your fade. You don’t want to take away chunks of the hair or have any imperfections. Start slowly, build the rhythm and gain confidence.
- Ensure the cut has a flawless blend. If you have any imperfections, you can always go back over them or use your scissors to help neaten up the look.
- Use your hair tools to sharpen up the sides and accentuate the look.
- Finish the look with styling products that will enhance the cut. A texture powder can give further volume to the hair on top that’s longer in length and give the look a more dramatic, statement finish. Pomades and waxes with a matte finish can also help give the hair shape whilst also having a natural finish.