Tal Fisher, stylist at Montreal’s Carte Blanche Coiffure and a Contessa semi-finalist, was one of 15 stylists who stepped backstage at NYFW with London’s Errol Douglas and Moroccanoil artistic director, Antonio Corral Calero. “Antonio would email every stylist each night before the show with a picture of how he wanted the hair done. Then, right before the show, he would do one model and we would all do the same style,” says Fisher. “We had 15 to 20 minutes to prep hair before the show. You have to be quick. There’s pressure, but it’s a good stress.”
Here, the Moroccanoil hair team joined up with Carly Cushnie to complete the total look at the Cushnie Et Ochs F/W13 show at New York Fashion Week. The structured, volumized style features squared height at the crown with hair kept close to the head, and sleek straight-down the sides and back.
1. First, prep with Moroccanoil Treatment and Hydrating Styling Cream to make hair more manageable.
2. Spray hair with a heat protector, like Moroccanoil Heat Protection (available March/April 2013), since hair will face intense heat from a hairdryer and flat iron for the style.
3. Use a mousse like Moroccanoil Volumizing Mousse from the ends up, starting at the back toward the top of the head, and throughout the sides.
4. Blowdry hair with a paddle brush, with bristles swept up into the hair at the crown for added volume.
5. Add gel, such as Moroccanoil Styling Gel (available late Spring 2013) to a comb and work through roots in horizontal sections, starting mid-head, sides and crown to create shape and height. Use the paddle brush once again to lift strands from the roots upward, directing to the flow of the blowdryer, and then brush hair down for smooth volume.
6. Flat-iron the hair straight, starting mid-head in the back working towards the sides. Iron the hair close to the head to contrast the height on top.
7. Finish by gently backcombing at the crown to create structure, volume, and a square shape. Hold everything in place with a shine-enhancing hairspray, like Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray Strong.
Credits: Cushnie Et Ochs Autumn / Winter 2013 Collection
Hair by Antonio Corral Calero, Moroccanoil Artistic Director
Photos by David Webber for Moroccanoil