Are you in need of some curly hair inspo? Look no further.
“There’s a strong beauty and confidence that surrounds women who embrace their natural hair texture, but learning what works and what doesn’t can make a world of difference in how enjoyable their morning routine is,” says Anna Peters, Sam Villa ArTeam.
“Take the time to educate naturally curly guests on how to embrace their texture…and show them how to parade that beautiful texture with a cool twist!” adds Peters.
Here’s how to recreate the look.
How-to: Fierce Textured Twist
1. The shower routine is crucial for success. Rinse thoroughly with water, separating it to let water get to the scalp. Use a moisturizing and sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner, like Redken Frizz Dismiss. Shampoo only when absolutely needed and opt for just conditioning sometimes when looking to refresh. While conditioner is on, comb out the tangles with a wide tooth comb. Then, rinse again thoroughly.
2. Use a microfiber towel or T-shirt to dry hair by scrunching gently, do not wring dry or roughly rub hair, this will disrupt the curl pattern.
3. Apply the appropriate products for the hair type, we love using Redken Curvaceous Ringlet Anti-Frizz Perfecting Lotion on our curly hair clients and models. We apply a quarter size into hands, dispersed evenly and then rake hands through starting in the back and working up towards the face, making sure to get all the little hairs around the face. Scrunch again.
4. Diffuse hair with a Sam Villa Diffuser attached to the Artist Series Professional Blow Dryer with the ion on switch, using med to low heat to enhance curl definition and volume.
5. Once hair is dry, create a long 2” wide corn row type braid down the center back of the head from front hairline to nape. Secure with elastic at nape.
6. Apply Redken Frizz Dismiss Instant Deflate Serum to hands and gently gather hair at the center back of head, twisting hair up towards the top creating a French Twist in the back with the ends hanging out over the top of head. Twist should be sitting directly on top of braid, covering it.
7. Slide grips/pins down through the twist and into the braid. The pins should feel very secure once they slide into the braid. Continue doing this along the twist. When at the top of the head, continue twist towards the front hairline, allowing ends to hang over like a faux fringe. Give a light tease to the underside of hair hanging over front and pin top into braid underneath.
8. Shape fringe with hands and light teasing, finish with Redken Wax Blast 10 High Impact Finishing Spray-Wax for definition and hold. By creating the braid foundation underneath, the style is able to hold the weight of the hair and stay secure all day and night.