How do some of the top pros use their tools and keep them long lasting? Dafne Fernandez, global educator for Artistic Nail Design, John Nugyen, CND education ambassador, and Eleanor Victor, consumer testing and compliance for OPI products, all gave us their tips on how to keep your tool kit pristine, whether you’re a nail artist backstage or a nail technician in the salon.
1. “Use the CND Curette for safe cuticle removal. To prolong the life of your manicuring tools, wash in antibacterial soap, dry, disinfect and then dry again before storing in a sealed sterilization container after each use.” – John Nguyen, CND education ambassador
2. “Shape, refine and smooth nails with CND nail files and buffers, which are recommended to be disposed of after each use, but be sure to follow protocols outlined your local health board for proper disposal instructions.” – J.N.
3. “The Artistic Nail Design Sani Tongs are perfect to pick up small stones or charms or when you don’t want to touch the wet gel.” – Dafne Fernandez, global educator for Artistic Nail Design
4. The Artistic Nail Design Marbleizing Tool allows you to create nail art designs, from precision lines to intricate designs.
5. “I use the Artistic Nail Design 9 Oval Brush for gel extensions, as the flat and semi-round tip allows me to get close to the cuticle and have better control of the gel.” – D.F.
6. Gently clean and preserve even your best nail art brushes with the tea tree oil-infused OPI Brush Cleaner.
7. “In my tool kit, I use the OPI Pusher Plus to gently loosen and push back cuticles from the nail plate.” – Eleanor Victor, consumer testing and compliance for OPI Products
8. Use the precision titanium cuticle nippers OPI AccuNips to remove hang nails. Just be sure to wash and disinfect all your metal tools before using again. “I always have two of each tool in my kit, so when one is being disinfected, you can use the other.” – E.V.
9. Trim natural nails without filing and prevent ingrown nails with the Tweezerman G.E.A.R. Professional Grip Fingernail Clipper.