This holiday season is going to be a unique one for most of us. But social distancing doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have a little fun and get glammed up! I personally love CND’s Cocktail Couture collection because it screams ’80s glam. My personal favourite is CND Vinylux Get That Gold because it dries almost chromelike and is really effective for stamping techniques and hand-painting (even over dark colours!) and that excites me as a nail artist. Plus, it covers with only one coat!
When I received the samples of the Cocktail Couture collection to play with and create design templates for CND my first thought was to suggest a shape that screams “diva” and not our typical elegant almond! My Plume design is an abstract mix of leopard print and a peacock feather! I’m so proud my nails were featured for the campaign as well as the first CND Nailathon this past October.
At Candy College, the new educational division of Candy Nail Bar, we just launched a digital DIY nail atelier, where I’m teaching nail art enthusiasts how to do an at-home mani and create three CND Vinylux designs using the Cocktail Couture Collection! More details about the “Cocktails with Tamara” course can be found on our website: candynailbar.com
DESIGN 1: PLUME
(featured CND nail look by Tamara Di Lullo)
- Apply 2 coats of “She’s a Gem” (teal metallic) or “Drama Queen” (Magenta metallic).
- Apply 1 coat of “Get That Gold” using the patented oval brush; flat and on the size for a variety of shaped spots! I love this Gold because it’s so opaque and dries almost like a chrome effect!
- Using a detail brush and “Fedora” create the irregular details around the spots in different directions.
- Apply 1 coat CND Vinylyx Weekly Top Coat and grab a cocktail!
- a) The gold spots can be at the tip or closer to the cuticle and vary from nail to nail for more variety!
- b) Consider a whole manicure in “Get That Gold” with 1 accent nail with the PLUME design.
DESIGN 2: RAY OF LIGHT
(by Tamara Di Lullo)
- Apply 2 coats of “Get That Gold” to all nails and allow to dry fully.
- Use striping tape to create a random angular pattern and couble up on certain lines to give more depth to the design.
- Delicately apply each of the colors in the CND Cocktail Couture Collection in between the taped lines varying the position.
- Apply a light second coat for colours that may require.
- Peel of the striping tape delicately.
- Touch up and areas that may require a little love with s detail brush and CND Vinylux.
- Apply 1 coat of CND Vinylux Weekly Top Coat.
- It’s important to let the base coat of “Get That Gold” dry as much as possible before applying the striping tape so it doesn’t rip off when you peel off the striping tape.
- Avoid placing the same colour next to one another and leave some negative space for a lighter effect.
Tamara Di Lullo is the owner of Candy Nail Bar, an education ambassador for CND, editorial nail artist represented by FOLIO Montreal. She’s also a senior educator at Candy College, the new educational division at Candy Nail Bar.