Celeb hairstylist Justine Marjan shares some tips and steps on how to recreate her look for Olivia Culpo.
Olivia Culpo made plenty of news headlines for her Golden Globes red carpet look and her low braided chignon was just one reason (major #haircrush). Luckily, we have your step-by-step guide on how to recreate this look from Culpo’s celeb stylist Justine Marjan for ghd.
But first, some stylist advice: You’re going to have to work with your client’s schedule when creating an intricate updo like this, which may mean being flexible with when you begin and finish the style. “Because of our busy schedules, I prepped Olivia’s hair in the morning, then finished it in the afternoon before she hit the red carpet,” says Marjan.
As for the inspiration behind the style, Marjan notes, “We were really inspired by Olivia’s dress and knew that we needed the hair to be up and that we wanted to see her chignon from the front. It was Olivia’s idea to add braids on the sides that were covered by a piece of hair so that she still rocked a sleek middle part from the front.”
Hair How-To: Low Braided Chignon
- To start, prep damp hair with a split-end treatment cream (Marjan used ghd Advanced Split End Therapy). Be sure to run it through to the ends of the hair. Next, apply a smoothing serum to the roots to boost shine.
- Blow dry the hair using a round brush for a straight, smooth look from the roots to the ends. Once dry, spritz hairspray to create grit for easier styling.
- Part the hair down the middle. Pull a one-inch piece of hair from both sides of the head, near the temples, and clip them to the sides.
- Take the hair underneath both areas and style an inside-out French braid from near the temple to the lower part of the head and pin in place. Remove the clipped section of the hair so that it covers the beginning of the braid.
- Pull the remaining hair into a low bun and use hairspray to hold the look.
- The final step: Smooth flyaways to seal the look.
What’s in Justine Marjan’s Toolbox?
To create this look, Marjan used the following ghd products:
- ghd advanced split end therapy
- ghd smooth & finish serum
- ghd air hairdryer
- ghd ceramic vented radial brush in size 3
Photos: Justine Marjan’s Instagram, @justinemarjan