Looking back at Fall/Winter runway collections, we saw a pattern of hairstyles from various eras.
This trend report, created by Kérastase PARIS & shu uemura Art of Hair educational director, Colin D. Ford, features 30s Dior-inspired glam looks, as well as 60s, 70s and 80s grunge looks with trends including minimal volume, different hair partings, natural textures and pulled back styles.
Here’s how to recreate some of the looks using Kérastase and Shu Uemura products.
The Messy Bun
- Apply some Kérastase Elixir Ultime Crème Fins on hairline.
- Comb hair into a high, sleek ponytail, securing it with an elastic.
- Spray ends with Kérastase V.I.P Texturizing Spray to amplify the volume and give texture.
- Next, pull the ends through the elastic creating a “loopy bun”, before twisting and looping the elastic over the rest of your bun. (Essentially forming two buns on top of one another!)
- Apply Kérastase Forme Fatale on all the hair at the root area and using a fine tooth comb.
- Take it all back into a tight ponytail at the top of the head.
- Secure with elastic and then create a single braid down the back.
- Secure the ends with a small elastic.
(Fun fact: Inspired by the pioneering women from the 1930s including Marlene Dietrich, this trend focuses on making hair look “glossy and polished”.)
- Use Kérastase Nectar Thermique, to prep hair before making a side parting above the arch of the brow.
- Apply Kérastase L’Incroyable Blowdry Lotion to all of the hair for added heat protection as well as additional hold.
- Blowdry all the hair and add height at the crown with a round boar bristle brush.
- Use a medium-sized curling iron to create curls toward the front.
- Once entire head has been curled, brush through thoroughly with boar bristle brush and let the waves form naturally.
- Spray with Kérastase Laque Couture to hold in place with soft waves predominantly on one side.
- Prep by applying Blowdry Beautifier by Shu Uemura to damp hair.
- Quickly blowdry and then use a medium-sized curling wand. Wrap in different directions around the wand. (Tip: To avoid the curls looking too “perfect” or overly styled, apply a small amount of Cotton Uzu by Shu Uemura into hands, divide the hair into large sections and run fingers through it. This creates large waves and a degree of separation between each hair segment!)
- To achieve the wet-look nature of this style, use a gel product combined with an oil on roots to add shine and the ‘just-out-of-the-water’-like separation. (Tip: a great combination is Kérastase Forme Fatale and Elixir Ultime Oil original.)
- Create an imperfect side-parting and flyaway wisps over forehead and in front of ears to finish off the look.
This is a nonchalant ‘just been thrown-up’ vibe, because the updos are created messy on purpose. A number of small twists and a rough height at the crown add a scruffy, yet still healthy-looking texture.
- To help achieve this look, prep hair using the appropriate cleansing and treatment duo. (Suggestion: Kérastase Aura Botanica Bain Micellaire and Aura Botanica Soin Fondamentale as the treatment).
- On towel dried hair, apply Aura Botanica Eau des Vagues to provide a loose beachy texture to hair.
- Blowdry using fingers.
- Once dry, spray hair with Texture Wave by Shu Uemura, giving hair an added grip and texture which will enable you to get that messy height at the crown.
Deep Side Partings
- On dry hair, create a deep side part with a fine tooth comb. Sweep the hair from the side part across forehead and secure with a dainty barrette just above the ear on the opposite side. (Tip: For a disheveled look, use Kérastase V.I.P Spray all over the head and then use your fingers as a comb.)
- Rake as you go to build a beautiful, piece-y texture. Pull a few strands from the side part and give them a light spray for extra fly-aways.
(Tip: For a smooth look, use a nourishing shine cream and a small amount of gel, Kérastase Elixir Ultime Crème Fins & Crème de la Crème. Comb the hair smoothly across the forehead and into a tight bun at the nape giving the illusion of short hair from the front.)
Chic Centre Parts
These styles are always kept smooth and shiny at the roots, due to sharp centre-partings, and tucked behind the ears.
- Shampoo and treat the hair. (Kérastase Aura Botanica Bain Riche & Aura Botanica Soin Fondamentale)
- Apply a primer to the towel-dried hair (Kérastase Nectar Themique, nutrition and heat protection).
- Next, apply a small amount of a smoothing lotion to the crown (Satin Design by Shu Uemura) and the upper third of the hair.
- On the lower lengths, apply Kérastase L’Incroyable Blowdry Lotion/Creme for added heat protection and flexible styling.
- Comb throughout with fingers while blow-drying.
- When hair is mostly dry, use a boar-bristled paddle brush to smooth the crown and the hair around the face.
- To complete the look, use a curling iron to add soft bends throughout and gently break up with fingers once cool.
- Finish with Kérastase Laque Dentelle for a moveable, flexible hold.
Straight, Not Flat
- Prep hair by cleansing and treating with the appropriate shampoo and conditioner duo. (Tip: Use a duo that helps eliminate any wave or frizz. (Suggestion: Kérastase Bain Fluidealiste sans sulphate and Fondant Fluidealiste.)
- On towel dried hair, apply a small amount of a primer. Kérastase Keratin Thermique not only provides heat protection, but it also controls frizz. Next, apply a quarter-sized amount of heat-protecting lotion (Kérastase L’Incroyable Blowdry Lotion) throughout the lengths while concentrating on the ends.
- Blow-dry hair using a stiff boar-bristled paddle brush to bring about a smooth, luxurious texture with little bend a soft flowing movement.
Preparation of the hair before the blowdry is essential to achieve the lightness and fluidity needed for this look.
- Cleanse and treat hair with the appropriate duo. (Suggestion: Kérastase Nutritive line based on natural hair texture.)
- On towel dried hair, apply a small amount of Kérastase Nectar Thermique for added nutrition and heat protection. Next, apply Blowdry Beautifier by Shu Uemura (lotion or crème depending on the thickness of the hair) and comb throughout the hair for even distribution.
- Using round boar bristle brush, blowdry to achieve a soft fluid result.
- Part in the middle with a little height on the crown.