Here’s what happened in the world of beauty this past month.
News & Events
- Changing Places: After many years as the director of education and events at Matrix, master colourist Roch Lemay is going back to his passion—and the salon. This accomplished Contessa and NAHA-winning colourist is back behind the chair at O Coiffure & Spa, located in Montreal’s Ogilvy, taking on clients and letting his creative juices flow. Lemay has worked behind brands such as Goldwell and Matrix and has inspired other stylists and colourists both in and out of the salon through education and his eye for up-and-coming trends.
- Business Sense: Long-time employees Graham Kenny and Leigh Tait have acquired International Beauty Services, the Alberta-based beauty distributor founded by the late Doris Tan who passed away in March 2014. Both Kenny and Tait will continue to maintain and expand Tan’s legacy in their new roles at the helm of the professional beauty distributorship.
- Moving Up: Unite has announced the appointment of its new creative director, Gary Baker. In his new role, Baker will identify and interpret trends into the brand’s education, marketing platforms and collections. The London-based hairstylist has an impressive background, including celebrity clients like Cate Blanchett, as well as session and runway work for notable brands like Dior and Burberry.
- #Contessa2016: Contessa entry season is in full swing. Get inspired for your next photo shoot with these past winners and how they brought their collections together. Need more reasons to enter? We’ve got 10 right here, plus a bonus five if you’re in the Atlantic area.
- Happy Birthday! Celebrating 20 years, Collega, the parent company of Civello, Aveda Canada and the Aveda Institue Toronto, held an incredible hair show. Along with Aveda Team Canada’s Ray Civello and Kristjan Hayden, the lineup of international artists, included presentations from Aveda’s global artists Janell Geason and Jon Reyaman and the Van Michael Team.
- Blonde-Saver: Clients who have already gone bright, bright blonde will want to preserve their colour. Help them out with the new Pureology Perfect 4 Platinum Cool Blonde Enhancing Treatment.
- Frizz Fix: With steamy temperatures rising by the day, unruly, frizzy hair is not far behind. Experience the new Redken Frizz Dismiss collection here.
- #PediReady: Summer is the season of bright colours and weekly pedicures. Get your clients started on the right foot with these new summer nail collections.
- Colour Me Happy: Give your clients a quick lightening service with the two new Joico DuoLight shades. See how they work here.
- #NOTD: Need some nail art design inspiration? These tutorials from Bio Sculpture, CND and Essie will get your creative juices flowing.