The truth about what really keeps your clients coming back for more.
A common industry figure states that 20 per cent of a stylist’s success is attributed to his or her technical skills and the other 80 per cent is from interpersonal skills, says Scott Moon, business development associate at Green Circle Salons.
“Most education that exists is technical in nature, based on the latest techniques for cutting and colouring, which is great because it touches on the core of what stylists do,” he says. “In reality, though, the typical client won’t see the difference between a good haircut and a great haircut. The noticeable difference to the consumer is minimal.
“What the consumer will notice is the level of service and the experience he or she had at the salon,” says Moon.
Five Ways To Improve Customer Satisfaction
Celebrity stylist, educator and salon owner Eva Scrivo shares her common sense approach to really building your book.
1. Always stay late and never look at the time. Dinner plans are not as important as being there and being flexible for your clients. Try to be more agreeable and open to your clients’ ideas.
2. Remember how uncomfortable it is for the client to communicate. They tend to think that sharing their ideas takes away from your creativity, but it should be somewhat of a creative partnership.
3. Dress and look the part to be taken seriously and respected as the professional you are. Be an example of what you are selling: beauty. This allows you to charge the prices that you feel are fair for your services.
4. Be a beauty expert. Learn what the latest trends are in fashion and beauty. Scholars always read, and you need to do the same. Get a subscription to Women’s Wear Daily and read every Friday’s beauty-focused edition.
5. Never stop going to classes. Education is a lifelong commitment and so is being a part of this industry. When you stop learning you inadvertently stop caring.
This story originally appeared in the 2011 May/June issue of Salon Magazine. Photo credits: Hair – Becci Giacopazzi, Marc Antoni; Makeup – Clare Fletcher; Styling – Bernard Connolly; Photos – Richard Miles.