Think you know everything there is to know about the Contessas? Think again! Take a trip down memory lane with a look back at the history of the Canadian Hairstylist of the Year Awards.
The Canadian Hairstylist of the Year Awards (aka. the Contessa Awards) is born!
Salon acquires the Contessa Awards.
Fun Fact: Who runs the world? Girls! Anna Pacitto becomes the first woman in the awards’ history to win the Canadian Hairstylist of the Year award.
- At just 22, Anh Nguyen becomes the youngest winner of the Canadian Hairstylist of the Year award!
- Making history! Montreal-based salon team Orbite sweeps the Contessa Awards with seven wins (including Canadian Salon Team)—the most ever by a single salon team in one night!
- Bill Rowley makes his debut as host of the Contessa Awards! Did you know that Contessa 30 was his 15th time hosting?
- The Head Room from St. John’s, Nfld., wins Canadian Salon Team of the Year.
- Frank Dicintio from Salon Gaboa in Woodbridge, Ont., wins a hat trick: Canadian Hairstylist, Elite Master Hairstylist and Makeover Colourist.
- The Hair Factory from St. John’s, Nfld., wins Canadian Salon Team of the Year.
Did You Know? The Hair Factory has won a combined total of 15 Contessa awards to-date.
- The Contessa Awards introduces the Master Colourist of the Year award—a nomination-only category for colourists who have been working in the industry for more than seven years.
Did You Know? Michelle Pargee was the first-ever Master Colourist winner.
- Salon honours the memory of industry icon John Steinberg by renaming its Community Service award to The John Steinberg Award for Community Service.
- The Contessa Awards begins streaming a webcast of the entire show online.
- Edwin Johnston wins his eighth Contessa award. While he continues to compete, he’s now taken on another behind- the-scenes role—photographer!
- Husband-and-wife hairstyling duo Silas and Dorothy Tsang of Ottawa-based salon Blushes win Canadian Colourist and Ontario Hairstylist.
- The Fan Favourite award is introduced, allowing the public to have their say and vote for their favourite Contessa collection online at SalonMagazine.ca
- The Catessas have arrived! The Salon team creates a fun parody of the Contessas, starring cats!
- The Contessa Awards goes international with the introduction of the International Hairstylist category!
- Australia’s Uros Mikic was the first-ever Contessa winner for International Hairstylist of the Year.
- Tony Ricci earns his 10th Contessa award, continuing his reign as one of the most decorated Contessa winners to date!
- Contessa celebrates its 30th anniversary with the debut of a new logo (designed by renowned typographer Paul Sych), a trophy redesign and our largest audience ever— sold out!