One of the best parts of Valentine’s Day is being able to help your clients get all dressed up to go out and celebrate love. However, one of the hardest parts of Valentine’s Day can be helping them decide how they want to wear their hair!
Whether they’re getting all dolled up to celebrate with a romantic candlelit dinner at their favourite restaurant or opting for a more casual look for the movie theatre, we have three perfect date night hairstyles to suit all your clients’ needs.
Sabrina Dijkman, ambassador for Alterna Europe, gives us the rundown on how to recreate three beautiful styles.
How-To: A Sexy and Sophisticated Low Bun
If your client is looking for a hairstyle to show off facial features and collarbones, this low bun is the perfect look!
- Use a volumizing shampoo and conditioner to prep the hair (e.g. Alterna My Hair. My Canvas More to Love Bodifying Shampoo and Conditioner).
- Distribute a heat protectant evenly throughout the hair (e.g., Alterna My Hair. My Canvas Soaring High Volumizing Blowout Mist).
- Use a large barrel brush to blow-dry the hair, and focus the heat at the root to create more body and lift.
- For the bun, start by creating a ponytail at the nape of the neck and stop pulling the ponytail through around halfway. Take the remainder of the hair, pull it up and tuck it into the hair to create an effortless, low messy bun.
- Use hair ties to polish the bun and to give it more shape.
- Finish the look by pulling out some pieces of hair around the face for a soft finish.
Pro Tip: Apply Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Infinite Color Hold Topcoat Spray to give the hair shine and enhance the client’s hair colour.
How-To: A Soft and Romantic Half Up, Half Down
This popular and classic half up, half down hairstyle is great for romantic occasions! It’s a softer look that will make just as much impact as a bolder style.
- Prep hair with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner (e.g. Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner).
- Blow-dry the hair using a medium-sized barrel brush to create soft and natural waves.
- Section off two small fringe sections at the front of the hair.
- Take two large sections at the back of the head, towards the crown, and slightly backcomb to create a slight lift. Bring the sections together and secure with a bobby pin.
- Tong the hair using a medium-sized barrel brush to create a little extra “oomph.”
- Release your two fringe sections and lightly tong.
- Add some accessories to enhance the look.
Pro Tip: Remember to blow-dry with the nozzle pointing down to encourage lots of shine.
How-To: A Perfect Ponytail
This classic ponytail is a simple yet romantic style that is low maintenance and allows for the hair to be away from the face and swept back for a more dramatic look.
- Apply a blowout mist to the hair to give a full-bodied and volumized look while offering protection from heat (e.g. Alterna My Hair. My Canvas. Soaring High Volumizing Blowout Mist).
- Use heated styling tools to create soft waves.
- Brush out waves to create softness and volume before styling into a ponytail. Add dry shampoo throughout the ends for more volume (e.g. Alterna My Hair. My Canvas. Another Day Dry Shampoo).
- Finish the look by taking a small section of your ponytail and braiding this before wrapping the braid around your ponytail base to disguise the hair tie.
Pro Tip: Dry shampoo can also be used in the roots before styling into a ponytail to give the hair more grit before styling and additional volume at the roots.