Since every client has their own unique features, style and preferences that all come into play in their haircut, being able to customize a look by mixing different characteristics of multiple haircuts is a great way to create a modern and bespoke cut on every client.
For clients looking for a shorter cut, the pixie is a great example of a customizable style as it’s made of alternating layers, disconnections and a wide range of shapes and textures.
We have a step-by-step guide from Sam Villa’s artistic director Teresa Romero on how to create the perfect textured pixie.
- Secure the top section from the sides and back. Create a square shape section below the parietal ridge and top of the ear forward.
2. Divide the side square section in half horizontally. Cut the top half of the section with clippers or scissors to approximately 1.5” long. The bottom half of the side section will be disconnected from the top section. Repeat these steps on the other side section.
3. Creatively open the hair above the ear on both sides.
4. Use your imagination while cutting and use descending elevations to create asymmetry in the weight line. Start behind the right ear and elevate a horizontal section to the top of the ear. With each additional horizontal section drop the elevation a little. Continue doing this until the area behind the left ear.
5. Drop the top section and create six individual subsections.
6. Start in the center left top section, elevate hair 90 degrees from where it lives, cut the hair shorter in the front and longer towards the crown. Keep the completed subsection isolated and disconnected from the other subsections.
7. Move to the next subsection on the top left. It will be longer in the front and shorter towards the crown. Isolate the completed subsection from the rest. Complete each top subsection in the same alternating disconnected approach.
- Be confident and personalize the final look.
- Keep cutting sections clean and neat to stay organized.
- Use styling products that enhance the natural texture of the hair for maximum movement.