The 94th annual Academy Awards brought in many amazing looks from updos to waves, and from beards to braids, we just couldn’t get enough! We have step-by-step guides on how to create four looks from this year’s Oscars that will give your clients the red carpet looks they’ll be asking for!
How-To: Zendays’s Soft Updo Created by Antoinette Hill
- After colour matching, prep hair extensions such as the 18-inch Hidden Crown Original Clip Ins with a heat protectant (e.g., Joico Defy Damage Pro Series 1).
- To create dimension in the hair, apply Joico’s BlondeLife Powder Lightenerand LumiShine Demi Liquid to the hair.
- Apply a volumizer to the roots of the hair while drying. Use a round brush to create more volume at the crown.
- Apply a shine serum or cream from roots to ends for extra smoothness and shine.
- Attach three clip-in extensions to the back of the hair to add fullness.
- Secure hair with an elastic band and hairpins.
- To finish off the look, pinch out tendrils around the perimeter of the hair for added softness and spray a hairspray throughout the hair to maintain a hold, lift and volume.
How-To: Vanessa Hudgens Slick Top Knot Created by Danielle Priano
- Prep hair with a styling mouse such as the Healthy SexyHair Fresh Hair Air Dry Styling Mousse and add clip-in extensions (e.g., the Irresistible Me Invisible Clip-In Hair Extensions #1b-2-4 dark ombre). Place extensions further back from the crown leaving out at least one and a half inches from the hairline.
- Add in Big Sexy Hair Powder Play Volumizing & Texturizing Powderto loosen the hair up and bond the extensions to the hair for a seamless look.
- Apply a holding gel and pull the hair into a ponytail (e.g., Style SexyHair Hard Up Hard Holding Gel)
- Twist one-inch sections of the ponytail and loop them all together to make a structured bun, pin in place. Apply Big SexyHair Spray & Play Volumizing Hairsprayto keep the bun and hair secure.
- To finish the look, add a styling paste to keep the flyaways down.
How-To: Naomi Scott’s Slick Bob Created by Bridget Brager
- Add a mixture of oil and cream to damp hair and blow dry hair with a paddle brush. Direct hair off of face and behind ears.
- Use a flat iron to smooth the hair without straightening the ends completely.
- Add a little flip to the ends of the hair.
- Once the hair is smooth, set it in place with a gel and cream mixture. Rake into hair to create a hydrated wet look.
- Add a shine spray and clip hair to dry and set without flyaways.
- When the client is ready to go, remove the clips and go through the hair with a high shine spray and a super hold hairspray. Clean up the edges of hair around the face with a small detailing brush. Add one final spritz of hairspray for maximum hold.
How-To: Riz Ahmed’s Classic Fringe Up Created by Michael Duenas
- Prep hair with a grooming spray.
- Rough dry the hair for texture and fullness.
- Once hair is dry, apply a hair clay such as the STMNT Dry Clay and layer in a pomade on top such as the STMNT Fiber Pomade.
- After layering, cocktail the two products and emulsify into palms. Add it to the front sections to piece hair out.
- Finish the look with a hairspray to hold everything in place.